The city of Dar es Salam, Tanzania, received glad tidings in the midst of these challenging times with the inauguration of Saifee Hospital Tanzania. A multi speciality facility, Saifee Hospital is the realisation of the late His Holiness Dr Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin’s RA visionto provide a higher quality of healthcare to the people of East Africa, brought to fruition by his successor, His Holiness Dr Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin TUS.
Narrating the words of the Prophet Ibrahim AS, the Holy Quran states in one of its verses: ‘And when I fall sick, it is He (Allah) who cures me.’ This verse, which embodies the Islamic ethos of seeking treatment and establishes the importance of faith in ensuring a holistic recovery for those suffering illness and injury, guides and inspires Saifee Hospital in all its undertakings.
The hospital strives to embrace the best of modern technology in fulfilling its mission of providing quality health care that is accessible and affordable not just for the people of Tanzania but the entire East Africa region.
The facility has a capacity of over 140 beds, spaced out over 140,000 square feet. It consists of 8 floors above ground and 2 basements and will serve as a multi-specialty tertiary care unit.
The hospital’s design features simplicity with an emphasis on creating the ambience of healing. It incorporates a number of open spaces and terraces on each floor bringing about a feeling of continuity and openness which allows for natural ventilation and an abundance of light.
The natural and comfortable spaces take into account the experience of patients, families and medical staff. They speak of an effective synthesis between form and function ensuring a high-quality, safe and effective healing environment.
Fatimi design elements feature prominently throughout the building thus giving the hospital a unique blend between the modern and the traditional.
The hospital currently comprises a staff of medical professionals trained in over 13 different countries pooling in a vast array of experience and skill. The administration is also in the process of launching various programmes which cater to those who are unable to afford proper medical care.
Some of Saifee Hospital’s key features include:
- 9 ultra-modern operating theatres capable of performing cardiothoracic, neurosurgical, orthopaedic, gynaecological and general surgical procedures.
- The largest Intensive care unit in Tanzania with 34 beds, Hepa-filtered air and special isolated cubicles along with dialysis facilities.
- A ceiling mounted Cath Lab located next to the emergency department for faster access.
- A comprehensive radiology department with a 1.5 Tesla MRI, 128 Slice CT scan, Digital X-ray, C arm fluoroscopy and 4D Echo Ultrasound machines.
- A pneumatic tube transport system from Switzerland connecting all the departments for easy movement of blood samples, consumables and various other items.