Tilāwah: Sūrah al-Nūr Verses 36 – 40; Sūrah al-Fajr
Qirāʾah: Base Khalaf ʿan Ḥamzah, al-Dawrī ʿan Abū ʿAmr, Al-Kisāʾī
Today, was a luminous day for the followers of tajwīd. Shehzada Husain bhaisaheb Burhanuddin Saheb (DM) recited the dazzling verses of Sūrah al-Nūr in a luminous display of tilāwah that was replete with the various melodious maqāmāt and riwāyāt.
Today’s tilāwah was dazzlingly luminous because it contained references to almost all qirāʾāt. While Shehzada Saheb (DM) based his recitation on the narration of Khalaf ʿan Ḥamzah, he carved his way through several other narrations and recitations which are listed down below in full detail. Some portions are attributed to one qirāʾah even though multiple qirāʾāt might contain those particular references. This is to make it easy and less confusing for the reader.
Shehzada Saheb (DM) began the recitation of the āyah al-nūr in the narration of Ḥafṣ ʿan ʿĀṣim. Quickly transitioning into Khalaf, evident through the naql al-ḥarakah and saktah while doing waqf on the word والأرض (wal-arḍ), he repeated the phrase دري يوقد five times in five different recitations. All five are listed below:
- Durrīyun tawaqqada (with ikhfāʾ) = Qunbul ʿan Ibn Kathīr (Listen)
- Durrīyun tūqadu (with ikhfāʾ) = Khalaf al-ʿĀshir (Listen)
- Dirrī-ʾun tawaqqada (with madd and ikhfāʾ) = al-Sūsī ʿan Abū ʿAmr (Listen)
- Dirrī-ʾun tūqadu (with madd and ikhfāʾ) = Al-Kisāʾī (Listen)
- Durrī-ʾun tūqadu (with madd and ikhfāʾ) = Khalaf ʿan Ḥamzah (Listen)
Shehzada Saheb (DM) continued the tilāwah in the narration of Khalaf ʿan Ḥamzah until he reached the next verse, fī buyūtin (في بيوت). Here he transitioned into the recitation of Shuʿbah ʿan ʿĀṣim which is identical in this verse to the qirāʾah of Ibn ʿĀmir from both his narrators. The differences are as follows:
- The word buyūt replaced with biyūt. (Click here to listen)
- The word yusabbiḥu replaced with yusabbaḥu.
(Click here to listen)
Interestingly, there were several instances of imālah in this recitation of Khalaf which have rarely been seen recently as a matter of coincidence. These were in Verses 39 and 40 of Sūrah al-Nūr. They are listed below:
Click on the Arabic words to listen to their pronunciations in the form of imālah.
In one of the most dazzling mornings of the year Shehzada Saheb (DM) recited the entire Sūrah al-Fajr in several interesting forms. Below is a list of the changes he incorporated in the recitation.
- The word watr changed to witr = This change is narrated by Khalaf and al-Kisāʾī
- The word yasr changed to yasrī = This change is narrated by Ibn Kathīr, Yaʿqūb, Nāfiʿ, Abū ʿAmr and Abū Jaʿfar (latter three conditionally, former two unconditionally).
Shehzada Saheb (DM) continued to recite in the narration of Khalaf ʿan Ḥamzah until he reached the 20th verse. From here, he went back to the 15th verse (فأما الإنسان) and began reciting in the narration of al-Dawrī ʿan Abū ʿAmr until the 26th verse that ends with aḥad. Some of the changes in the latter narration were as follows:
- The word rabbī changed to rabbiya with a fatḥah (zabar).
- The word tukrimūn changed to yukrimūn.
- The word taḥāḍḍūna changed to yaḥuḍḍūna.
- The word taʾkulūna changed to yaʾkulūna.
- Taqlīl in the word annā and imālah in the word zikrā.
After reaching the 26th verse, Shehzada Saheb (DM) went back to the 25th verse and transitioned into the recitation of Abū al-Ḥārith ʿan al-Kisāʾī’s narration. The changes in this narration are as follows:
- The word yuʿḏḏibu changed to yuʿḏḏabu
- The word yūthiqu changed to yūthaqu
- The imālah of hāʾ al-thaʿnīth in al-muṭmaʾinnah and marḍīyah.
The recitation ended with a lot more to be desired (in a positive sense) even though Shehzada Saheb (DM) had given more than we, the audience, deserved. May Allah Ta’ala bestow Shehzada Saheb (DM) with a long life in the khidmat of our Maula Syedna Aali Qadr Mufaddal Saifuddin (TUS).